Thursday, November 11, 2010

Nicki Minaj: A Love/Hate Relationship

By ChinaBabe of J9's MusicLife

As you all may already know I have a love/hate relationship with Nicki Minaj.  Actually it’s more like HATE/Love/Hate (lower case like)... my point is… she’s growing on me…

**looks down at keyboard**

In fact, I believe that most women, over the age of 25, have the same issue that I have with Nicki… I just don’t get it.  If you are talented and smart then playing dumb is not received well by women.  In all honesty, I want to love Nicki… I think women, the adult women who adore hip hop would love to embrace her, but we do not understand her.  We don’t play with dolls nor do we need the whole host of characters (voices) that are Nicki Minaj.  We like our female rappers (femcees) strong, sassy and independent.  We can see a little bit of ourselves in each of them...I am Missy, I am Eve, I am Lil Kim (at night, in my mind) and I want to be Lauryn when I grow up (pre-mental breakdown).  When I hear Nicki Minaj, Nicki Lewinski, Harajuku Barbie, and Roman Zolanski they all seem like a cast of characters that are NOTHING like me.

Well, since I just mentioned it...let's discuss the multiple personalities of Ms. Nicki Minaj....


  1. Nicki Minaj, the sassy alter ego of Onika Tanya Maraj (Nicki's real name)
  2. Nicki Lewinsky, the sexified mistress to President Carter (A wink to former President Bill Clinton and his mistress Monica Lewinsky)
  3. Harajuku Barbie, the dumb blonde with the baby voice (A little nod to Paris Hilton…the baby voiced prostitute)
  4. Roman Zolanski, the best character…and according to Nicki, Roman is the gay boy inside of her.  Roman’s rap style is what I wish Nicki (whoever) would be all the time!!! (Okay, the Roman Zolanski character loosely based on Roman Polansky a director from the 70's who was charged with rape of a 13 year old girl, but pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a minor and fled the country to avoid prosecution.  I'm not really sure where Nicki is going with this one.
Someone once said that the mark of a great femcee is women want to be her and men want to be with her.  Most girls want to be Nicki, women not so much.  Young girls see Nicki as accessible and fun, visually.  She's a pretty girl, she looks like a doll.  I don't know about you, but when I was a little girl I use to pull the heads and arms off the Barbies and throw them out the project window… well, at least that’s what I did with Barbies...

To read the full article, click here.

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin