Thursday, July 12, 2012

More Male Stories Need To Be Told In Literature



This is something that has been on my mind for a long time now. As a writer, I can't help but think about this subject on a daily basis. Now that I am working on my own projects, this is beginning to come up in my head surreptitiously.


Aside from going to cafes and beach houses, I love going to libraries. I love walking around, seeing constant pieces of literature hanging on the shelves. From one writer to the another, it's just amazing see the work of numerous writers. It's not just something great to look at, but it's also a reminder for myself. It reminds me everyday of who I am and what I want to see in the future. I'm still waiting for that day to come when I see my first published book on a shelf somewhere. It just gives me happiness mentioning something like this.


However, one thing appears to always disappoint me. When I look at a shelf, I'm always looking for a real male story. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. The book where it takes on the everyday life of the everyday man. A male oriented dramedy or romantic comedy with a male protagonist carrying the story to the last page. I know they are there, but it's being overpopulated by female protagonists and stories by 98% when it comes to telling those kinds of stories.


The only time I see these male characters is when I find them in detective, thriller, and horror novels. Even though that is amazing, it's still kind of putting our male characters in a bubble. We have to show that men are not just strong built, brave, and gutsy men who knows how to take control of the situation. We have to show that men go through their everyday lives just like a woman. Some of them are fun. Some of them are heart wrenching. Some can be both. We have to show that men has feelings too. We can laugh, cry, hate, love, and every other emotion just like women.


I have nothing but love and respect for female writers. I love all of their stories and the strong females they've created. I can sit in bed and read a book by Emily Giffin, Marian Keyes, Jennifer Weiner, Kristin Hannah, Candace Bushnell, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sophie Kinsella all over again, and still love them the same way. Everyone that knows me is aware that I love romantic comedies. But as a man, I'm looking for the stories I see when it comes to my life. I want to see a buddy story with two men. I want to see literature become more masculine.


As a writer, I want to walk into a library where I see my stories being displayed. Either written by me or another writer, I hope to see it real soon.

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin