Saturday, November 27, 2010

Don't Sleep: Emily King

Don't Sleep:  A feature post that presents artists or albums the media has basically slept on and should've gotten some props.

By J9 of J9's MusicLife

I came across singer/songwriter Emily King in 2007 while watching VH1 Soul one day.  After seeing the video for her first single, Walk In My Shoes I had to find out more about her.  My immediate Google search took me to her Myspace page where I listened to other tracks.  I fell in love with her music and it took me visiting three stories to buy her debut album East Side Story.  The album was so good it was a Grammy nominee for Best Contemporary R&B Album.  Everyone I've recommended the album too LOVES it.  However, I wish I had the ability to tell the world because there are many who have slept on the album.

Emily, the child of two jazz musicians, also plays the guitar which adds to her incredible talent.  You can hear her play throughout the album, especially on the song "Business Man" where she talks about heartless capitalists.  Emily brings such realness and emotion to her songs which allows the listener to really feel and relate to her words.

Origin: New York City
Debut Album: East Side Story (Released in 2007)
Record Label:  Free Agent (Formerly signed to J Records)

Similar Sound: Alicia Keys, Natasha Bedingfield,

To read more, click here.

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin