Saturday, June 19, 2010

Zolra's Corner: Stop Worrying About The Future and Focus on the Present



For the past few weeks, I have heard nothing but complaints over many individuals. This not only includes tourists, but also people who live here in New Orleans. Whenever I walk around them, most people once again consider me a tourist. They have studied my hometown's culture, and they say I'm different from any New Orleanian they've met. Everything involving my voice, fashion style, the way I carry myself, my maturity, the whole thing. I'll be honest. Even though I've been born and raised in New Orleans for 18 years, I do feel very different from everyone down here.


The best thing about being different, I get to meet amazing new people. I've had inspiring conversations about different cities. I met a couple of New Yorkers who gave me amazing tips after I told them that I moving to the Big Apple soon. However, the conversations I've had with these people seems to have lead to a similar situation they're going. They continued talking about their future, and how they want to do this career. They want to succeed. The picture is already in the their head. However, they don't know what to do.

Once I heard that, I kind of vomited in the inside. This is my thing. I have been aspiring myself to do a lot of things. I've been in the entertainment business since I was 14 years old. I told myself one day that I wanted to be a talk show host due to my constant commentaries. Knowing that I am incredibly driven, I used my high school's computer equipment and created my own talk show called
Zolra's Corner, which lasted for two years. Due to my presence of the show, it helped me get a job as a reporter/writer, documenting the oil spill that is affecting my city right now.


While I was still working on my talk show, and getting involved in my program "Creative Forces," I was driven to start my career as an actor. I was 11 years old when I thought about it, but didn't get serious until I was 16. After that, I made my film debut in an independent film and starred in a comedy web series the same year called Still Life Stories. I wanted to be part of a reality show. I am already auditioning to be part of this online traveling show for other writers.


Before all of that, I wanted to be a writer of many things. I wanted my name in books, magazines, blogs, and film/tv scripts. Before I knew it, I published an e-book when I was 14 years old before I took it off the market.

Whenever I said I wanted to something in my future, I would do the best I could to make it happen. Never in my life did I let that future picture cloud my brain. My mind is always in the present while the picture is still supporting me. There are times where I see what I'm doing in the future, but I don't let it take over my mind.

The problem that some people make is that they stay focused on that future picture and not focus on their present actions to get to that future. I encourage people to stay focused on the present. Whatever you want to do, make sure that you focus on the present before the future takes over your mind. That picture can disappear like a soap bubble if present actions aren't included in it.


I also feel happy to have international friends supporting me in everything that I do. I love my friends Nathan "Seven" Scott and Dwight Allen O'Neal. These two are without a doubt the best out of all of them.

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin