Saturday, October 15, 2011

Why Are So Many Young Gay Men Lost?

I thought I was going to avoid talking about something like this, but a recent incident just convinced me to do it.

One night, I was in the middle of the city, getting ready to walk inside this building, which held this event that I had to attend. All of a sudden, I ran into this old friend of mine outside of the building. He just happened to be strolling down the street.

I went up to see how he was doing. Without a simple greeting, he asked me if I knew this person he is dating. I told him I did. The guy is my ex-boyfriend, who I have not seen in over three years. I was instantly shocked on how he knew my ex. I have not seen him or spoke about him for that long. It wasn't a good relationship. It was a terrible on-off relationship that lasted for two years. The best thing I did was remove him from my life.

He revealed to me that my ex is his current boyfriend. My guard was already up. This boy is fifteen years old and my ex is twenty-five. They've been dating for three days and he said he's in love with him. When I asked him how much, he said they have been thinking about having bareback sex from now on.

I stopped talking to him, gave the security guard my pass, and entered the event. I was halfway focused on the entire event. I couldn't stop thinking about the conversation I had with that boy. It brought up a wide range of topics surrounding the gay community. I remember people calling me one of the lucky ones.  Now that I think about it, they're kind of right.

It's not a big secret. The gay community is still a work in progress. Even though we are fighting for our rights, we have to fix ourselves as well. These young gay men are so lost in this world due to the nonacceptance of family and friends, they go after numerous older men, hoping that they would found love. Little do they know they're expectations is going to bite them in the butt.

They're sexual actions are overshadowing their image as well. Admittingly, men loves sex. We talk about it and act it out all the time. So when it comes to two men dating, of course it's twice as crazy. However, there are some gay men who's sexual actions are overshadowing them as a person due to the fact that they think sex can solve everything. Little do they know that it can break a few things in the process.

The rise of HIV/AIDS is still at a high rate. It's almost as if it's been ignored. Everyone knows what will happen if you have unprotected sex. But it's almost like people don't care. They're afraid that if they don't have bareback sex, they'll lose they're lover. Eventually, they're going to have to realize that they're health is more important than they're lover.

Not only that, but it's also the terrible decline in education. I know that the gay community isn't the only place where this is occurring, but you see that a bunch. It's hard to have a normal conversation when you hear a cuss word coming out in every sentence. It becomes very uncomfortable and rubs you the wrong way.

These are just a few examples of what I see happening. I believe that if we want to make a change, we should start with the young audience. After all, our future is going to be in their hands soon. Even though we are still fighting for our rights, the one thing we should do is fix the problems that is going on in our community.

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin