Thursday, August 18, 2011

Make a Human Connection - OFFLINE

We live in a fast paced world, that’s pretty evident. We have also become very distracted in our day-to-day living. We have access to pretty much any and everything throughout the course of the day. I remember a time when I had to wait until I got home to speak to my friends, now they can catch me as long as I have my cell phone in my immediate possession. With modern technology there is almost no way to fully escape. They even have devices where your friends can track your location. Now that is absolutely insane and I refuse to buy into that one.


Don’t get me wrong, I love facebook! It has allowed me to contact people that I have lost contact for almost 20 years. However, as of late, I have found myself sitting in front of my computer talking to those very people and checking for updates as if they were important! I am an entrepreneur and business owner, left to generate clients and my own income. Surely there are things that I could be doing rather than chatting away with people that ultimately are equally distracted.


I have a client who told me that he is glued to his television and computer while his social life is pretty non-existent and his living quarters is a total wreck. So, I ask “when was the last time you cleaned your room?” or “when was the last time you invited your facebook friends to join you offline for coffee or just a walk in the park?” We don’t even realize that these distractions, while seemingly bringing us closer together, are ultimately keeping us apart. Why? It’s because we choose to stay within the confines of our living quarters therefore not stepping outside of our comfort zones. Our social skills are lost and we are unable to have the connections that we deep down inside yearn for.


Here is the challenge. Over the next two weeks, extend an invitation to meet someone offline. This should be someone that you have never before met in person. Another option is to pick up the phone and have a real conversation, this would be effective for those connections that don’t reside in the same state as you.


Remember, it doesn't have to be about making a romantic connection, it's a HUMAN CONNECTION. We all need love!

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin