Thursday, July 14, 2011

Interview w/ Noel Gourdin

By Guest Blogger Stephanie of J9's MusicLife



June 26, 2011 - 9:30 Club - Washington, DC

In 2007, singer/songwriter Noel Gourdin (pronounced Gor-deen) from Brockton, Massachusetts came on the scene.  Many will remember him by his popular single The River from his debut album After My Time.  To spark your memory, watch the video here.  Part II of the Up Close and Personal Concert Series, Guest Musiclife Blogger Stephanie sits down with Noel. 


Who would have thought there was so much depth within this fresh brother.  The 29-year-old holds an old soul, which is a good thing for the music industry.  Might I add that he exemplifies how to respectfully address the woman that captures his heart.  That is a good thing for the ladies.  The cover is very welcoming yet the content says so much more.  I sat in the lounge to find out more about Noel Gourdin.

Stephanie up close and personal with Noel Gourdin


MusicLife:  There are many new artists out there but what do you bring to the industry that makes you different and stand out from the others?

Noel:  I'd like to say it's just true music to me.  I don't go in trying to make a hit record. I go in spilling my soul and trying to make music that's true and pure.  What I mean by pure is just like how they made it back in the day, the Motown days, the Rhino days.  Just going in and making music that's from the heart, doesn't try to degrade people, it's tasteful and timeless.  I think the industry is missing music like that.  Music that has that live instrumentation implemented.  Music that's from the heart and soul like they used to do it.


MusicLife:  Who are you currently listen to?

Noel:  My iPod is filled with old music.  I'm talking about Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Johnnie Taylor, Tyrone Davis, Solomon Burke, Jerry Butler.  I've heard so many times that I've got an old soul so I'm starting to believe it. 


MusicLife:  What artists influenced you now?

Noel:  People ask me who is your favorite artist of all time and I just have to say Marvin Cooke cause I say Marvin Gaye and then Sam Cooke all in one.  To me, those voices are the epitome of soul.  To me, it's all about the tone that makes you memorable.  The Otis Reddings, the Marvin Gayes, the Sam Cookes, it's those people that at a young age my Pops was playing that music that made me fall in love with this music.  So I wanted to in turn, make music of my own to make people feel the way I felt at 5 years old.


To read more of the interview, click here.

Read Part I of the Up and Close Concert Series as Stephanie interviews Neo-Soul duo Kindred the Family Soul here.

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin