Saturday, February 12, 2011

Can There Be A Relationship Without The Connection?



As we continue to move forward with each of our lives, there are times when we can't help but to look at the past and see how far the journey has taken us so far.

I had a tiny flashback over a relationship I had two years ago. It was an on and off relationship and I finally had enough of the roller coaster relationship. I finally decided to end the relationship. We see each other every now and then, but that's the closest we have towards one another. I do believe in having a friendship after a relationship. I believe that just because two people didn't click on one thing the can click on another level.

One week after we broke up, I received this phone call from an individual I didn't even know. I was laying in my bedroom watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother. Even though this tv series is considered a romantic comedy, I don't understand why the show still needs to be called that.

"Hello," I answered.

"Yes," said the person on the other line. "You don't know me, but this is your ex's best friend Michael (I'm going under a different name to respect his privacy)."

We had this short five minute conversation about my relationship with my ex. I didn't want the conversation to continue going. So I just jumped to the conclusion.

"We no longer have a connection," I said. "We didn't talk to each other for a week. Whenever we are on the phone, there is always five minutes of silence. Whenever we're together, we hardly have anything to talk about. It instantly knew then that we no longer had a connection."

Then he said the most unforgettable thing I ever heard from a human being.

"Well let me tell you this. I have been with someone for two years now. We have no connection. We hardly go out. We hardly spend time with each other. However, at the end of the day, I know I love him."

I hung up the phone the second he said that. Later that night, I started thinking about our conversation. A relationship is kind of like an interview. When you go out on your first date you do your best to get to know this person. Then once you see the connection you continue asking questions. There are times when you feel like you are halfway reading that person's autobiography. But if there is no connection, how can the two of them survive.

When it comes to relationships, can there be a relationship without the connection?

No comments:

THEFUTUREFORWARD.NET HEADLINES

The FUTURE

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin